East Window

East Window of Seven Lights

     

(Click on Images to Enlarge - opens new window)

The east window of seven lights is a memorial to the men of the parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918.

It has been designed with special reference to the central idea of worship as the key to life here and in the world beyond the grave. The subject of the window is the Te Deum.

At the top of it is shown Our Lord in Glory, the Centre of the Worship of Heaven, in which He is shown with all the symbols of glorified humanity. Throughout the whole of the seven lights an effort has been made to show the development of man’s approach to God.

Patriarchs, prophets, apostles and martyrs are represented in the upper positions of the four outer lights, with the patron saints of the United Kingdom below.

The three central lights are more closely associated with Our Lord’s ministry on earth, and show His visit to the tomb of Lazarus, with the text “I am the Resurrection and the Life”, and His appearance to the disciples after the Resurrection reproving the doubting Thomas with the text “Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed”.

The archangels occupy the light between these two pictures. The groups of figures in the lower part of the third and fifth lights show types of men and women of various nations and ages in the attitude of meditation and worship while children are shown encouraged by their parents to join with them in the great privilege of worship.

In the centre light is a representation of the administration of Holy Communion to soldiers behind the lines at the Front, which recalls the fact that, as a soldier, the Christian requires not only physical but spiritual strength to carry on the warfare of life.

In the centre window is the text for this sermon in glass:

ALL THE EARTH DOTH WORSHIP THEE, THE FATHER EVERLASTING”.

(Explanatory text from original 'Key Diagram of Memorial Window')